Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jessie J Talks Sexuality with Glamour May 2012




She's enjoyed quite the successful past year, and Jessie J landed herself a feature in the May 2012 issue of Glamour magazine.

The 24-year-old English singer and songwriter looked striking in a 3.1 Phillip Lim jacket, Willow blue bra and a Kenneth Jay Lane necklace; and a turquoise knit Jill Sander dress and Marni earrings for the Simon Emmett shot spread lining the pages of the publication's special beauty section.

Highlights from Jessie's interview are as follows. For more, be sure to pay a visit to Glamour!

On her views on partying:
“I’m not really the party person. I don’t “become myself” once I’m drunk. I don’t use alcohol to be happy. I’m young and having one drink is [enough]. My [calendar] is just unreal at the moment. I don’t have time to be tired!”

On what’s built up her confidence:
“You know what it is? I have such an amazing mom and dad who have been married for 32 years, and my sisters always made me feel like I was amazing. No one ever tried to suppress who I wanted to be. I never got embarrassed. Even last night, at the after-party, me and my dad were up dancing when no one else was. I think the best way to have confidence is not to allow everyone else’s insecurities to be your own.”

On what really got her started in the music industry:
“I wasn’t always someone who was talented. It was more that I was loud and loved a challenge. From a young age I knew I wanted to be something in the world.”

On her sexuality:
“For me, I want it to be less about sexuality and more about being comfortable in who you fall in love with. If I meet someone and I like them, I don’t care if they’re a boy or a girl. You should never, ever apologize for anything that makes you happy.”

On her being labeled as a bisexual:
“The frustrating thing is that if I was with a guy right now, I’d be [considered] straight. But If I was with a girl, I’d be “gay.” When I was with my ex-girlfriend, I used to take her around and say, “This is my girlfriend.” People would be comfortable with it because I was. That’s what annoys me about the media. I’ve never tried to make [my sexuality] something that’s going to put me in newspapers or magazines. I’m never, ever going to let it be something that sells my music. Sexuality shouldn’t define you. It should be part of who you are. At the moment I’m single, and I’m happy and learning about myself. Music is the love of my life right now.”